Sunday, July 13, 2008

Religion Poisons Everything

As you know, I'm an atheist. I think that religion is poisonous to minds and society, but I see no good in forcing people to become atheist (that would be stooping to their level) so I don't believe the world will ever be religion-free.
But I've been stressing over things lately. My boyfriend is Catholic. I used to be Catholic, too. We went to the same religious high school. I like him a lot, but I don't want his family to hate me, because they are at some point going to figure out what my religious beliefs are. On our date, Pat told me that he didn't even believe in the "Catholic image of God" (whatever that means) and doesn't really like many Catholic stances on issues. I really can't believe he told me this on our first date, but maybe he was trying to make sure I knew he isn't a fundie bible-thumper. (I didn't get into my beliefs, I don't think he can handle them quite yet.)
So this is why I'm sad. My dad came into my room earlier this evening and asked me what I was reading on my computer. I answered honestly (I should've lied) and said "How to date a guy with a different religion." He had to carry on a freakin' conversation about it. My dad needs to just leave me the fuck alone sometimes. Anyway, he asked what religion was in question, and I said Catholic. He asked what the different religion is, and I said between Catholicism and atheism. He deduced that I was not referring to myself as Catholic, but rather as the atheist. He said "Catholicism and atheism don't have much common ground. You're the atheist in the picture? That's sad." OUCH. meanie.

No comments: